Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Kids and No more Chia pet

One of our goats gave birth to twin kids two days ago. It was quite interesting to see the little wet lumps sit for awhile and then struggle to their unsteady little feet. The timing seemed odd, as it is Fall and the day the mother goat gave birth was one of the coldest days here in months. This meant that we took the kids into the garage at night (me in the top photo). But then the weather turned again and it was time to take them back to the kraal (Afrikaans for corral) and so that is the third photo. I'm told carrying them like this doesn't hurt them and they seemed not to mind, even though I prefer actually supporting them as I did in the first photo.

As you can see the weather is having trouble deciding what it wants to do. The only thing that is certain, is that whenever I want to go running, it starts raining. I suppose its because I don't have a car that I can wash.

I've also cut my hair about a month ago, which was a fun (tedious) three hour experience. At the end, it really looked like a medium-sized furry animal was in the bucket I but my hair into. My host family was shocked, as were all my co-workers.

Now I can avoid comparisons to Chia-Pets.

The kids (goats) are a lot cuter than the photos seem to make them and their hair is ridiculously soft, unlike that of their parents.I'd also like to mention now that I'm participating in a half-marathon (the Long Tom) in a week and a half. The purpose is to raise money for scholarships for economically disadvantaged but otherwise brilliant students. If you do so feel inclined to donate, the website is:

http://www.klm-foundation.org/

If you donate, please include my name in the white box as Long Tom participant and yes, it is tax-deductible and you can give any amount, any little bit will help $10, $20 go a long way here in South Africa (after all, I spend less than $4 a day on food):

The marathon itself is described here:

http://www.longtominfo.co.za/

As far as asking for money goes. Yes, my schools are poor and could definitely use more resources; however I'm working on making sure they use the few resources they have effectively before I would think of requesting more funds. Unless you want to build a classroom, we're short on those.

This cause is one I support because it is well managed and is doing something that I feel is very necessary: expanding opportunities for those that ordinarily would not have the chance. It is not nurturing a dependency, but empowering a future, which is what I'm here in South Africa to do. That's all for now.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nati…I couldn’t post comments to Philip’s blog so if you could do this for me:



Hi Philip, you are looking well and healthy and a little dark circles under you eye. The work you and your colleagues are doing is most appreciated and valuable from one teacher to another. How many kids do you all have in a classroom? what type of curriculm is being taught? any extra-curr.? etc...tell me more. Carina



In case, you forgot who I am, I am Natalia's Mom.

Philip said...

Kids in a classroom range from 30-86 (yes, we're overcrowded). We focus on an outcomes-based curriculum model and there are extracurricular activities but few and far between. None are held weekly or with any regularity, expect in the week before a sporting competition, etc.