Monday, March 31, 2008

Computer Workshop


For two days, I hosted a computer workshop for the educators of the two primary schools where I work. For now, these are two pictures of the workshops (another volunteer's parents came and helped out- Thank you, Mr. and Mrs. Clapp!) . We did cover quite a bit of ground and I think they are gaining enough confidence to try things on their own now.

It may seem odd that I'm teaching educators how to use the computer when there is no paved road within 23 kilometers of any of my schools, one lacks flush toilets and all are overcrowded. Nevertheless we have one at each school and I am determined to make sure that they are used to help the schools run better. The computer was provided to the school for administrative purposes, and for now, is under-used. I know there are schools where computers sit, locked up, because they are too valuable to be used. One of my schools has two computers, (one purchased last year at my urging, I'll explain later) and the other has one. For the school with two computers, the principal has taken to the computer and is beginning to improvise and learn on on his own, which is what needs to happen. At the other school, I still have teachers who don't know how to turn a computer on and do not think that it will add anything to their teaching.

This round of computer training included turning on/off a computer, the concept of windows and resizing, creating a folder, moving things to the folder, basic word processing, and certificate designs. I'm also restarting a typing tutorial program that I began last year and hope that it catches on the second time around. The first time around, there was a lot of initial interest, which then fizzled.

I've been doing reading on how to educate adults, so much of that was applied to this workshop... and I think it paid off. I have yet to design a follow-up workshop/activity, but I'm thinking of how best to do that now.



No comments: