Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Introducing Capture the Flag/Hat African Style

The camp isn't all about learning, though much of it is. I should mention that I'm conducting a skills camp (just myself this time), to help improve enthusiasm for learning and getting some other skills up to par for the children. They seem to enjoy it, as do I, though it's always a bit of a relief when it's over.

It's great to see about 15 kids waiting for me when I come (early) to set up. The rest come pretty much on time, because they know that we will start on time. Those that arrive early get to read books, which they do quite well. I think the reason they come is because they get to play with tan-grams (picture). I've got some kids that are whizzes at them.

I redid the classic song "This land is your Land" to make it more applicable to South Africa, and used it as a listening exercise (the guitar picture is actually from my last camp, where I had other volunteers helping me out... and taking pictures). Most of the kids spelled everything correctly (besides shores... I got a lot of shows, I forgot to roll my r when I pronounced it for them) and were enthused to sing. They've made strides in math as well and today I showed them a simple circuit, something which they were incredibly blown away by. Yesterday I showed them a triple-beam balance, and then a simple balance where they all tried to find rocks that weighed about the same as the 250g weight I had... some brought bricks... it was amusing.

I have a few trouble makers here and there, but for the most part they are good. It takes them forever to settle down sometimes, though I imagine having 60 adults all be quiet when they are doing something exciting would also be a challenge.... I get a lot more respect from them now than I did earlier. At first, when they found out I wouldn't hit them for misbehaving, they relished in that new found freedom, but know we've broken through that gap. I even have a few teacher's pets. ;) I'm also using the camp to try out different classroom management styles to see which one is the most effective here.

Everyday, when they behave, we finish by playing games. Last camp Duck, Duck, Goose was a hit and this time capture the flag has taken over as supreme king of the playground. I let them go through the choosing of teams, explaining of the rules all on their own, trying to stay in the shadows as much as possible because I don't want them to think they need me to play the game. Although.. I used a hat and a bandanna the first time I showed them, and it's become a game where they only use their hats.

No comments: